Cucumber health benefits
“As cool as cucumber” – this phrase is used to describe a person who maintains the cool head even in worse situation. The link to cucumber is that cucumber is one food that will instantly make you feel good and light after consumption. Cucumber accounts to the fourth most cultivated vegetable around the world. Cucumber is also a melon coming from the same family as watermelon. About 96 percent of cucumber is water that too naturally distilled water. Also, the peel or the skin of cucumber contains Vitamin A in very high concentration. Cucumber health benefits include the following:
- Keeps the body well hydrated: if you are not very found of gulping down a glass of water after every couple of hours, cucumbers can come to your rescue. As you can avoid drinking water or reduce the water consumption, you can add cucumbers in your diet to make up for the low water consumption. Since cucumber contains 96 percent water, it will immediately hydrate the body. Thus cucumbers help in flushing out the toxins from the body. Peeling off the skin of cucumbers results in loss of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Fighting off the heat: cucumbers have super cooling effect on the body, both from inside as well as from outside. Eating cucumbers helps to prevent the heatburn during extreme summers and also, applying cucumber on the skin provides relief from the sunburn.
- Protection of brain: cucumber health benefits include protecting the brain and improving the brain health. Flavonols fisetin has anti-inflammatory effect on the nerve cells and protect them from the damage that may result in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Hair and skin care: cucumbers are consumed all over the world to improve the quality of both hairs as well as skin. Sulphur and silicon present in cucumber stimulates the growth of hair and gives shine to hairs. Cucumbers also form an important component of face cream and packs because of high concentration of Vitamin C as well as anti-oxidants.
- Eat cucumber to promote weight loss: cucumbers form an ideal diet food for people planning to loose some weight. High concentration of water and low count of calories make it favourite munching vegetable for people on diet. Cucumber also helps in flushing out the toxins from the body. Presence of dietary fibres allows the cucumbers to aide in the process of digestion.
- Fights against cancer: cucumber is a source of phytonutrients called as lignans. These include pinoresinol, lariciresinol and secoisolariciresinol. These phytonutrients help in preventing against cancer by reducing the free radical damage in the body.
- Cholesterol levels: cucumbers health benefits also include regulating the cholesterol level in the body. Cucumber contains compounds called as sterols which help in regulating the cholesterol levels in the body.
- Fresh breath: are you suffering from the problem of bad breath? Here is a natural remedy- just put a slice of cucumber in your mouth and soon you will get rid of all the bad breath and gain the new confidence. Photochemical in cucumbers help in killing of the bacteria in the mouth which are responsible for bad breath.
- Cucumber Provides relief from hangover: if you suffer from hangovers or morning headaches, make it a habit of eating few slices of cucumber before you hit the bed at night. High levels of water, sugar and electrolytes in the cucumber help in replenishment of nutrients.
- Cucumber as stress busters: if you are panicked out or stressed, try eating cucumber low down the stress level. Stress can bring changes in the hormones in the body. Cucumbers being very rich in Vitamin B help in regulating the adrenal glands functioning to control the hormones level.
Cucumber skin care regimes include its usage for revitalizing the skin, reversing the tanning on the skin, treatment of open pores, fighting the cellulite and to keep the skin well hydrated. Cucumber face masks benefits in reducing the dark circles and treatment of blemishes. Cucumber water is equally beneficial as cucumber. Cucumber water health benefits include boosting of energy, flushing out of toxins from the body, healing hangover, maintaining blood pressure etc. Now that we know about cucumber health benefits, let’s discuss what sea cucumber is. Well, it’s not a variety of cucumber as we often think. Instead sea cucumber is a marine creature found on ocean’s floor. Since it is shaped like cucumber, it has been given the name of sea cucumber. Sea cucumber benefits include its remarkable ability to kill skin, lung, pancreatic, breast, Colon and prostate cancer cells.