Apples are probably the healthiest fruit available to us in the world. The age old saying” an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is true in itself. Apple is one of the most consumed fruit around the world and is often referred to as the miracle food. Apples have very high concentration of antioxidants, dietary fibre and flavonoids which makes them so healthy. Let’s discuss the numerous health benefits of apples:
Eat apples to have healthy heart
since apples are very good source of soluble fibre called pectin and also anti-oxidants, they help in keeping the cholesterol level in check and lowers down the concentration of bad cholesterol in the body. Consequently apples help in reducing the chances of blocked arteries. Apples also reduce the risk of heart strokes.
- Apples for a shiny smile: are you trying to get a million dollar smile with perfect teeth? Add apples in your diet. Since apples are crunchy in nature, chewing an apple stimulates the production of saliva in mouth. Saliva lowers down the tooth decay process and also kills bacteria in mouth. The abrasive quality of apple also fights teeth stains.
- Glowing and healthy skin: a less known health benefits of apples is that it is great for skin. Richness of antioxidants and Vitamin C helps in slowing down the ageing process, reducing wrinkles and also to maintain a healthy glow on the skin.
- Loose weight with apples: apples have high fibre content, low sodium and no fat. This makes them perfect food to loose weight. Having apple as a meal not only helps in curbing the hungers pangs but also give your stomach a feeling of being full. If you have apple before meal, it will allow you to consume less food during lunch or dinner time thus reducing down your calorie intake.
- Apples help in fighting cancer: apple skin has flavonoids, a chemical responsible for destroying the cells of cancer. Thus, it is always said to eat the apples with their peels.
- Apples help in beating constipation and diarrhoea: fibre rich apples help in treating both diarrhoea and constipation by working accordingly the needs of digestive system. In constipation, the fibres help in pulling out water from the colon and during diarrhoea, fibres help in dissolving excess water.
- Boost your immune system with apples: want to lead a healthy life free on infections and attack of other diseases? Eat apples. Since apple is rich is anti-oxidants, it boosts the immune system, making it stronger to fight off infections. Quercertin, an anti-oxidant present in apples is known for its properties to boost the immune system.
- Sharp memory: health benefits of apples include sharpening the memory of regular eaters. Apples help in preventing the decline of neurotransmitters called acetylcholine which results in improvement of memory.
- Detoxification of liver: apples are liver friendly. Liver in the body is responsible for clearing out all the toxins that we consume in our daily life. Thus, to have a healthy liver is must. Apples form a detox diet for livers. Instead of following the fad diets for liver detoxification, try consuming apples as it acts a natural detox agent for livers.
- Other benefits of apples include prevention of formation of gallstones. Gallstones are the result of excessive cholesterol in the bile which leads to its solidification. The fibre rich apple removes the excess cholesterol consequently preventing gallstones. Similarly, the anti-oxidants present in apples reduce the risk of Parkinson’s disease as anti-oxidants reducing the breakdown of nerve cells producing dopamine in brain.