Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon is known for its taste and flavour. We love to add it in variety of dishes ranging form apple pie to our daily tea. But apart from flavour, there are numerous health benefits of cinnamon. Cinnamon is being consumed since ancient times and even now, we keep it in our kitchen shelves for our daily use. It is being used to treat medical conditions like sore throats and arthritis since ancient times but there is more to cinnamon. Though cinnamon is available throughout the year, its fragrance and warm taste make it a perfect spice to be used during winters. Numerous health benefits of cinnamon are discussed below for your reference:
- Cinnamon controls the blood sugar: cinnamon is often treated as favourite spice for people suffering from diabetes, particularly Type 2 Diabetes. Cinnamon act as a remedy for diabetic people by activating the insulin receptors and thus improving the glucose and lipid levels of the body. Cinnamon also regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates in the body by stimulating the enzyme system working towards lowering the triglycerides, serum glucose and thus total cholesterol level in the blood. Vasodilatation property of cinnamon beats the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Eat cinnamon with honey to beat onset of Alzheimer’s: cinnamon extract improves the locomotors defects faced by the people suffering from this disease. Extracts of cinnamon inhibits the aggregation of protein called tau. This protein reduces the efficiency of impulse transmission around the nerves by forming aggregates.
- Protection against cancer: marvellous health benefits of cinnamon also include protection against the ghastly cancer. Cinnamon extracts work by inhibiting the cancer cells multiplication. This helps in limiting the spread of cancer cells and thus cinnamon act as a strong weapon against cancer. Unlike chemotherapy, the cinnamon does not affect the healthy cells of the body.
- Provide relief from arthritic pain: cinnamomum, a compound present in cinnamon, has strong anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Thus if you are suffering from arthritis, cinnamon can act as home remedy during severe pain. The aching joints get immediate relief from the natural heat mechanism of cinnamon. Try making paste of it and apply on the joints to get relief from pain.
- Cinnamon aides in digestion: further health benefits of cinnamon are that it improves the digestion process. Loaded with manganese, calcium, fibre and essential oils it regulates the whole digestion process. Fibres along with calcium work by transporting the bile salts out of the body. Regulation of digestive juices is done by essential oils improving digestion as well as assimilation. The anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon reduces the inflammation resulting from ulcers, indigestion etc. fibres in cinnamon also provide relief during constipation.
- Cinnamon helps in reducing weight: weight loss benefit of cinnamon is attributed to its properties of controlling the carbohydrates digestion process as well as in maintaining the blood glucose by regulating the levels of insulin. If you plan to lose weight, try having cinnamon tea with honey half an hour before the breakfast.
- Acne free skin: have you ever checked that many of your oil regulating and oily skin sensitive face packs and face washes include cinnamon extracts? The essential oils present in cinnamon acts as perfect anti-microbial agent to prevent the growth of bacteria in skin pores.
- Home cure for cough and cold: cinnamon is well known for its anti-bacterial properties. Also, a unique property of this spice is that it can keep the body warm. Thus, cinnamon works as home remedy for treating congestions due to cold. Also, when combined with ginger, it provides relief from sore throat.
- Cinnamon helps in beating atherosclerosis: since cinnamon is packed with calcium and fibre, it is very effective for heart. We have already discussed how calcium and fibre allow the outward transport of bile salts from the body. This allows the body to further breakdown the cholesterol to form more bile salts thus ultimately lowering the cholesterol level. This prevents the heart from the potential disease like atherosclerosis.
- Fighting the tooth decay: suffering from bad breath? Use cinnamon as its anti-bacterial properties are very good for gums as well as teeth. Cinnamon also helps in preventing gingivitis.
- Anti-fungal properties: cinnamon also has strong anti-fungal properties and is often used to treat fungal infections like athlete’s foot and fungus on toe nails.