Ultimate – benefits of dark chocolate
Well, if you are in love with chocolates, particularly the dark chocolates, here is a good and bad news for you. The good news is that there are several health benefits of dark chocolates and the bad one is that you have to eat limited quantity to get the health benefits. Dark chocolates are made from the cocoa seeds and are one of the best sources of anti-oxidants. However while buying the dark chocolates, the cocoa content should be checked in it to get a good quality dark chocolate. The chocolates which have high cocoa content are more beneficial. Adding milk, butter and sugar add calories to the chocolate, so while buying your chocolate bar always keep in mind that you need to get the benefits of cocoa and not the calories from butter and sugar. The various health benefits of dark chocolates are as follows:
- Nutrition value of dark chocolate: the cocoa concentration in the dark chocolate increases its nutrition value. Apart from this, dark chocolates have good fibre content. When consumed in moderate amounts dark chocolates can be good source of minerals iron, magnesium, manganese, copper, potassium, phosphorous, selenium and zinc. Cocoa is also rich in saturated and unsaturated fats.
House of powerful anti-oxidants: dark chocolates are loaded with anti-oxidants like flavanols, Polyphenols and Catechins. These antioxidants prevent the damage to the cells by removing the oxidative free radicals from the body.
- Improving the blood flow and lowering the blood pressure with dark chocolates: the flavanols present in dark chocolate results in stimulation of endothelium, the arterial lining which further leads to production of Nitric Oxide gas. Nitric oxide sends signals of relaxation to arteries. This results in lowering of blood pressure. Dark chocolate also improves the flow of blood.
- Dark chocolate lowers the cardiovascular diseases risk: dark chocolate prevent the free radical oxidation of LDL thus preventing LDL to get oxidized. Over the long time, this prevents the aggregation of cholesterol molecules in the heart arteries.
- Improves brain functioning: since dark chocolates improve the blood flow to the brain, it helps in improving the cognitive function. The chemical compounds present in dark chocolate have positive impact on the mood. Phenylethylamine, also known as PEA is present in dark chocolates. PEA works by encouraging the brain to produce endorphins which makes you feel happy.
- Dark chocolates Controls the sugar in blood: dark chocolates protect against Diabetes, particularly type 2 Diabetes. Dark chocolates are often related to the fact that they keep the vessels healthy. Also, flavonoids present in dark chocolate help in reducing the insulin resistance of cells. They also increase the efficiency of the body to use insulin. Along with this, another health benefit of dark chocolate is that it has lower glycemic index, which does not result in shooting up of blood sugar after consumption of dark chocolate.
- Tooth health: dark chocolates also help in maintaining the healthy teeth as they contain theobromine. Theobromine is responsible for hardening of the enamel of the tooth. Thus, dark chocolates help in prevention of cavities.