Watermelon health benefits
Many of you have watermelon as your favourite summer fruits. There is more to watermelons than just its sweetness and refreshing nature. Watermelon has numerous health benefits that help in reducing the risk of lifestyle associated health conditions. Water melon help in quenching the thirst on one hand and on the other hand, provide many nutrients to the body. Watermelon health benefits include the lost list of the following:
- Excellent source of lycopene: watermelon nutrition facts are incomplete without the mention of lycopene. Watermelon contains more lycopene as compared to tomatoes. Lycopene helps in protecting the skin form the UV rays that are harmful for the skin.
- Watermelon helps to Prevents cancer: lycopene- a carotenoid phytonutrients reduces the risk of various types of cancers like lung, breast, prostate and colon cancer. Watermelon can be regarded as an anti-cancer fruits due to combined activity of lycopene and Vitamin A.
- Diabetes: for people suffering from diabetes, low calorie and low sugar diet becomes their routine and they often felt cheated. Watermelon can come to their rescue. This great tropical fruit is sweet in taste, has minimal calories and almost 90 percent of the content is that of roughage and water. Nutritional value of watermelon also includes the presence of various nutrients like magnesium and potassium which aides the insulin functioning in the body, thus keeping the blood sugar levels in check. Among other components present in the watermelon, arginine works by improving the insulin impact on the sugar levels in the blood.
- Healthy heart: presence of lycopene in abundance makes watermelon an essential fruit if you want to keep the heart healthy. Beta carotenes are known for their ant-aging and anti-oxidation properties are responsible for keeping the heart young and also to keep the cardiac problems at bay. Watermelon helps in improving the cardiovascular function by relaxing the pressure of the blood and improving the blood flow.
- Eye health: if you are including plenty of watermelons in your diet, you do not need to worry about the health of the eyes. Watermelon health benefits include prevention of macular degeneration. Beta carotene, lutein, and Vitamin C protect the eyes. They work by protecting the eyes form the blindness related to age along with degeneration.
- Help in heat stroke: watermelon helps in reducing the body temperature as well as the blood pressure. Thus, during summers, particularly in tropical regions, eating watermelon daily has its own benefits. The high water content of the watermelon makes it essential summer fruit as its consumption lead to release of excess fluid from the body as sweat thus cooling down the body and reducing the temperature. Watermelon drinks form super summer drinks. Watermelons can be consumed as fresh watermelon juice, along with cucumber and lime. You just need to add your flavour to this wonderful fruit juice to have a cool summer drink. Also you will be able to keep track of how many calories in watermelon juices are consuming.
- Helps in reducing blood pressure: potassium and magnesium is present in high quantity in watermelons. They work in lowering down the blood pressure. Potassium is also referred as vasodilator, means in helps in releasing the tension of arteries and blood vessels. It increases the flow of the blood allowing the cardiovascular system to work efficiently.
- Kidney disorder: potassium present in watermelon help in cleansing out the toxic depositions present in the kidney. Its also reduces the concentration of uric acid in the blood, thus protecting the kidney from damage.
Many of us believe that seedless watermelons are genetically modified watermelons but that’s not true. They are just as regular as your watermelon with seeds and have equal benefits.