Health Benefits of Pears
Pears are sweet juicy fruit that are similar to apples in some ways. While they share the same crunchiness with apples, the skin of pears is very thin as compared to that of apples. The skin colour varies from yellow to green to red sometimes. The flesh of the pear is light in colour with sweet and juicy properties. When it comes to nutritional value of pears, they have very high concentration of water soluble fibres. Pears are also great source of vitamins like Vitamin B1 and B2, Vitamin A, C and E along with niacin and folate. Due to rich nutritional value there are several health benefits of pears like:
- Pears help to control the blood pressure: glutathione present in pears have anti-carcinogenic and anti-oxidant properties. Glutathione help in controlling the high blood pressure as well as in preventing the stroke. Since pears have high concentration of dietary fibres help in lowering down the level of cholesterol as it binds to the bile salts and carry the cholesterol out from the body.
- Prevention of cancer: richness of pears in copper and Vitamin C help them infighting against the cancer by acting as strong anti-oxidants. These anti-oxidants help in preventing the cells from the damage caused by the free radicals. The fibres present in pears help in removing the chemicals in colon by binding to then that can lead to cancer.
- Level of sugar in blood: health benefits of pears also include maintaining the level of sugar in the blood. The glycemic index of pear is very low, thus people suffering from diabetes can easily munch on this sweet fruit without worrying about the spike in their sugar levels.
- Prevention of osteoporosis: the high level of boron in pears leads to this health benefit of pears. To maintain the bone health with advancing age, it is necessary to maintain the pH levels in the body and to consume adequate quantity of calcium on daily basis. Boron helps in retaining the calcium of the body thus promoting the bone health.
- Pears Increases the level of energy: the high level of glucose in pears make them instant source of energy. If you are feeling low on energy factor, try grabbing a pear for the instant relief.
- Pears Improves digestion: the dietary fibre in pears help in process of digestion. The fibres help in the movement of food through the digestive tract. Also the insoluble fibres in the pear prevent the formation of polyps in the colon.
- Pears in pregnancy: pears are rich source of folic acid. Folic acid is necessary for the pregnant women as it helps in preventing the birth defects. Thus pears should be regularly eaten during pregnancy.
- Skin damage: the dietary fibres present in pears help in preventing the damage caused by the skin. Pears, by slowing down the discharge of sugar in the blood, it reduces the damage of the skin collagen. Pears also help in keeping the sin free from wrinkles. Vitamin C, copper and Vitamin K present in pears act strong anti-oxidants and combats the damage caused by the free radicals in the body.