Skin dryness is a common problem many of us suffer from. The condition worsens when there is lack of humidity in winter. There are basically three types of skin- oily, dry and combination. Among these three, people with dry skin have least moisturized skin which appears rough and flaky. Lack of proper nutrition and hydration, smoking, use of too much soaps are some of the causes for skin dryness. The situation worsens in winter when cold, dry air sucks out moisture from our skin leaving it dry. Fortunately, there are some great home remedies for dry skin which are very effective in restoring skin’s moisture and bringing it back to life. Let us look at some dry skin remedies below:
- Oil Massage: Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids which when used regularly can moisturize skin. Applying olive oil all over the body and massaging well before shower each day helps in proper blood circulation in the body, tone up muscles and hydrate skin making it soft and supple. Also use at night before going to bed to get rid of dry skin on hands and legs. Similarly you can use coconut oil and almond oil for massage. These natural oils are full of essential fatty acids and are good for dry skin.
- Milk for Dry Skin: Milk is rich in lactic acid which helps to exfoliate skin and retain moisture for longer period of time. Dab cotton dipped in milk on dry patches of skin and let it dry. Wash off after sometime. Epsom salt when mixed in salt act as one of the wonderful home remedies for dry skin. Rub this mixture on your skin before bath to get rid of skin flakiness easily. Drinking milk regularly also helps in moisturizing skin from within. You can also use milk cream twice a week as a face mask for added benefit.
- Moisturize With Honey: Honey is a natural moisturizer and regular usage provides soft and glowing skin. It is one of the best dry skin remedies used all through the year. If you are wondering how to get rid of dry skin on face, take a tablespoon of honey and add few drops of lemon juice to it. The citric acid in lemon and natural moisturizing ingredients in honey together makes up a hydrating face mask and gives you a well nourished skin.
- Eat Fish: Eat cold water fish like salmon as they are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and helps to nourish skin cells. Also include fatty acid rich foods like walnut, avocados and flax seed oil. Flaxseed can be used in salad dressing too.
- Vitamin Intake: Some of the best dry skin remedies come from vitamins. It is recommended to include vitamins like vitamin B-complex in everyday diet for a well nourished skin.
- Avocado Mask: Mash a ripe avocado and mix it with honey. Apply this mixture all over your face and neck and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing it off. Use this mask once a week to get rid of dry skin. Avocado smoothie is also good for health as they are rich in good fats and helps to keep skin moisturized.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains lactic acid and fats that helps to fight dry skin problems. Yogurt face masks are very hydrating and help to get a clear skin naturally along with providing hydration. It makes skin soft and glowing with regular use.
Try these easy dry skin remedies at home to get rid of itchiness and discomfort and restore your skin’s natural low and softness.